Saturday, August 21, 2010

Oregon Trail

We left early the morning of the seventeenth and drove through to crater lake stopping by at san luis obispo and San Francisco. The drive was beautiful but very cramped no fist fights yet so thats good i guess. Driving up the 1 past SF was far more beautiful than I had expected, the sunset was blazing red but we soon ran out of gas and had to reroute back to the 101. The rest of the drive Justin and I switched driving and we rolled into Crater Lake at about 5 in the morning. We cleaned up and took a small hike to the ridge of the crater and took a couple hour nap until the sun became unbearable. The view was actually quite beautiful and I'll try to add pictures later when I can. After that we drove off the park and camped at place near Diamond Lake. After some much needed rest and a delicious hot dog over a wonderful fire. Next we drove down the 5 straight to Portland we rolled into Justin's Aunts place at about noon on the 19th. Since then we have been site seeing and finishing up collecting our last supplies. We depart tomorrow morning its suppose to rain, its good to start the trip off rough I suppose. But Portland has been wonderful to us, everything about it is beautiful sad to see it go but we need to move on at some point. I wish i could divulge more and post some pictures but I have a limited time on the computer. Finished packing so for all those curious I'll right a short list of things i'll be carrying:
-flannel, thermal, windbreaker, two wet resistant shirts, a white cotton tee, three bike shorts, a pair of jeans, some thermal bike pants, three socks, a couple pairs of boxers, a hat a beanie, gloves, wool socks, a blanket, sleeping bag, maps, obvious cosmetics, my camera, my phone and corresponding chargers, a tape recorder as my own journal, a captains log, medical supplies, a cribbage board, and most importantly some whiskey and Frisbee golf disk.
I probably forgot some important things but thats the gist of it we take off bright and early tomorrow and will have no definite place to stay until we reach Colorado so it may be some time til i come back to this blog, but keep posted I am sure I'll have some interesting things to talk about it shortly until then see ya.
sorry for poor writing in a hurry

3 comments:

  1. Haha, "..and most importantly some whiskey and Frisbee golf disk". Can't wait to see pictures and more posts! Miss you guys alot and all the best. Can't wait for an update, I really like reading your blogs =D *hugs!*

    ReplyDelete
  2. I miss you and look forward to seeing you!
    As I reassured Justin, there will be comfortable, warm beds, a large spaghetti and meatball dinner, and lots of beer and wine awaiting your arrival.
    Much love, Derek! See you on the other side =)
    -becka

    ReplyDelete
  3. ahhh yes yes i am so happy you are keeping track of this trip via blog! i will be checking back every night for new posts, anxiously awaiting the monthly report. I hope it really works out that i can see you guys at some point! hmmm maybe i'll just drive slowly behind you until colorado so i can see becka, too!
    happy/safe riding!
    -laurel

    ReplyDelete